About Me

Thursday, June 4, 2009

PAIN! The Greatest Teacher!

"Lord, will I always hurt?" How many of you have sobbed this "prayer" in the middle of the night? Did the pain go away?
Someone once said that "Pain is the greatest teacher." In one respect, the Bible agrees. There are many kinds of pain, but the type I would like to address is the one we don't like to acknowledge very often. It is the pain we experience when God is disciplining us. He tells us that he disciplines every son he loves (Hebrews 12:5-6); unfortunately some grow from the experience and others do not.
What makes the difference? It's your attitude toward correction, whether the rebuke comes from God Himself or someone He uses.
What is your attitude toward someone who corrects you? Do you get defensive or angry? Do you withdraw or sulk? In the middle of the night, when the wound still stings, do you accept the reproof or reject it? God makes it very clear which way He wants you to go. He says, "If you had responded to my rebuke, I would have poured out my heart to you and made my thoughts known to you" (Proverbs 1:23, NIV).
Then you will say as the psalmist says, "It was good for me to be afflicted so that I might learn your decrees...give me understanding to learn your commands" (Psalm 119:17, 73, NIV). Will you allow the pain of correction to be your teacher? Turn from any defensiveness now, and let the Lord pour His heart and His thoughts out to you...

No comments:

Post a Comment